Italian omelette recipes: the asparagus & ricotta omelette
veggie omelette: asparagus omelette with ricotta, chives and thyme
Easter Monday planning
In Italy, Easter Monday (Pasquetta) is the hamper day. In Rome, people picnic a lot, and colonize every spot in every Villa in the city.
We are having a very Roman picnic: colomba pasquale (lets call it an Easter panettone), pizza romana (which is a sort of cheese bread, don’t know why they call it pizza), boiled eggs, frittata, corallina (a roman salami) and of course, chocolate eggs. Oh, and my friend F promised to add a foreign touch with neapolitan sandwiches.
Anyway, the egg project is not over yet: 3 recipes to go.
This one is a delicious Italian vegetarian recipe, delicate but savory, perfect for an after picnic dinner. Cause, let’s say it, after all that rustic eating, we’ll need a little upgrade: a gourmet asparagus recipe.
A ricotta cheese recipe, because to me, Spring means ricotta.
Italian omelette recipes
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp of ricotta cheese
- 1 tsp of finely chopped chives (2-3 sprigs)
- 2-3 asparagus
- 1 tsp of fresh thyme leaves (2 sprigs)
- salt & pepper
- 1 tsp of extra-virgin olive oil
- Finely chop chives.
- To clean the asparagus: soak them a few minutes in ½ cup of baking soda, ½ cup of white vinegar and 2-3 liters of water. Bend one asparagus at the time, until the stem naturally brakes up. Keep the top, that’s the totally edible part.
- Steam the tops (5 minutes), sparkled with a pinch of salt. Finally, slice them in ½ inches.
- Beat eggs in a bowl, add a pinch of salt and pepper. Add one tablespoon of ricotta and mix well.
- Heat the olive oil in a non-stick small pan. Pour in the eggs and make sure they spread all over the surface by rotating the pan.
- Cook over medium/slow heat until sides are well cooked (only sides).
- Add the remaining ricotta, asparagus, chives and thyme to the center of the omelette. Lower heat and cook about 30 seconds.
- Shake the pan: if the omelette slips around the pan, you are ready to close it.
- Don't worry if the center seems a little uncooked, once folded, cooking will go on, and you will get a soft and tender inside.
- Close the omelette: help yourself with a spatula or turner to fold it over itself.
- Serve hot.
enjoy your asparagus omelette