Sicilian fresh tuna burger recipe
A fresh tuna burger recipe with mint, almonds, pistachios, and fresh and dried tomatoes.
My grandparents were from Sicily: it might be the reason why I love so much Sicilian cuisine. Could it have had some effect on my DNA?
Whatever the reason, I love it, and, as always, love produces great results.
This bittersweet fresh tuna burger recipe is a concentrate of Sicilian food flavors and aromas, which makes it a super gourmet burger.
Nowadays Italy can be proud of a vast “tradition” of burger recipes: we have great ingredients and a constant interest in mixing them up in new, unique ways.
Chianina beef is usually the main character… but we are talking Sicily here.
And tuna is the big shiny star!
a tuna burger recipe
- 1 bun (mine is black because I found this peculiar carbon bread)
- ½ handful of mint leaves (fresh or dry)
- 1 teaspoon of raisins
- 1 medium tomato
- 2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 150 gr of fresh tuna fillet
- 2 slices of dried tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of peeled almonds
- 2 tablespoons of minced pistachios
- Blend together half of the mint leaves and half of the raisins. Dice half of the tomato.
- Heat one teaspoon of olive oil in a small frying pan and add the diced tomato and a pinch of salt. Stir-fry for 1-2 minutes, add the blended mint leaves and let cook 2-3 minutes, on a low heat. Set aside and clean the pan with a piece of paper.
- Meantime blend together dried tomatoes, half of the almonds, the remaining raisins and the remaining mint leaves.
- Coarsely chop the tuna fillet. Place it in a bowl and add the other blended ingredients and a pinch of salt. Mix well and use your hands to form a patty. Spread the pistachios over a plate and bread the tuna burger, be careful to cover all the sides.
- Heat the other teaspoon of olive oil in the pan, carefully place the tuna burger in it and cook it 3-4 minutes per side (medium/low heat).
- Meanwhile slice the other tomato half and the remaining almonds.
- Assembly the burger: bread + tuna burger + tomato sauce + sliced almonds + sliced tomato + bread
enjoy your Sicilian fresh tuna burger recipe!