A balinese curry chicken recipe for people cooking outside Bali.
Well… to make the authentic Balinese curry recipe, you should pestle herbs and spices like this:
But to have a great Balinese dinner night:
- you can use a food processor
- you can prepare the spice mix ahead of time
- and you may skip the wok too (but don’t do that, woks are so beautiful and they cook so well).
Once again, you could multiply the chilies in the recipe, but at your own risk. Let’s say my quantities were adapted to my whole family tastes (the result is a slightly hot aftertaste).
balinese curry chicken recipe
- 26 oz 750 gr of chicken breast cut in chunks
- 5 tablespoons sesame seeds oil
- 3 limes’ zest
- sea salt
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 lemongrass stalk
for the spice mix – you can make ahead up to a couple of days
- 3 small shallots
- 1/2 red chili
- 4 tablespoons of ginger
- 3 candle nuts
- 1/2 tomato
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon fresh turmeric
- 2 stalks of lemongrass
- 2 teaspoons of coriander seeds
Blend all the spices until pasty/creamy. If making ahead, refrigerate in a glass jar.
Cut the remaining lemongrass in 3-4 pieces.
Heat the sesame seeds oil in a large wok, over medium heat.
Add the spice mix, the lemongrass and the lime zest. Mix continuously for about 30 seconds, to avoid burning.
Add the chicken and brown it for a few minutes.
Add 1 cup of water, bring to a boil and simmer up to 15 minutes, or until the chicken is completely cooked.
Add the coconut milk, stir and return to a boil.
Turn off the heat, salt to taste and serve hot.
more balinese recipes
The Bali project was a great challenge. I brought as many ingredients as I could, still, some were impossible to bring or to find here in Rome.
Still, Balinese cuisine is so delicious, I got these incredible results:
- Balinese wok eggplants to die for
- a delicious and spicy Indonesian rice recipe (with pineapple!)
- the Bali roasted coconut salad you’ll remember for the rest of your life
And for the foodtrotters: here you’ll find my Bali guide!
enjoy your curry chicken!