This is the authentic and traditional Sicilian fennel and orange salad recipe with olives, shallot and olive oil.
The fennel and orange salad recipe, in all my Sicilian cookbooks, calls for, alternately, one of these ingredients:
and sometimes capers.
That’s how food in Italy and its authenticity works: there are a lot of alternatives (as many as there are regions and families in Italy). And that’s what makes it an infinite foodie experience.
In my house, educated to Sicilian flavors by my Sicilian nonna, the dressing for fennel and orange salad is made with all the above (except for capers).
an Italian travel, recipe, and culture magazine
Subscribe to my weekly newsletter and get a
of the mag!
Sicilian fennel and orange salad
Clean and peel the orange and the shallot. Slice them very thinly. Thinly slice the fennel too.
Place everything in a bowl, add the other ingredients, and season with the olive oil and salt to your taste.
Mix and serve.
more Sicilian recipes
Are you into Sicilian cuisine? Let me contribute to your kitchen experiences!
After making this delicious fennel and orange salad…
- You must make Sicilian brioches, at least once in your life. To enjoy the sweet smell that will invade your home and the emotion of dipping your just baked beauties in dolce almond granita.
- You should give your next burger night a Sicilian twist.
- You might loose your mind frying (but it will be worth it), when you make this cannolo cake.
- You will need to compensate calories, but you can still opt for Sicilianity: with an Aeolina tomato salad.
- And don’t don’t don’t miss the Tomato Red Issue, it’s dedicated to Sicilian food, and you’ll find more, delicious recipes from this magical island 🙂
Enjoy your orange salad (I would pair it with lentils)!