Pomegranate sugar cookie icing: natural food coloring & incredibly delicious cookies.
Pomegranate icing is made with natural, colorful, healthy pomegranate juice. Just that and sugar. Pomegranate’s intense juice gives a wonderful color to sugar cookie icing, and it’s an all natural food coloring! I added, but you can skip, black pepper: a gourmet touch, to give these cookies even more personality.
This is the first recipe of The Christmas Bakery Project, inspired by pomegranates sighted in the fruit basket and pepper forgotten on the kitchen table.
pomegranate icing with black pepper
- 1 cup confectionary sugar
- ½ glass juiced pomegranate use an orange squeezer
- black pepper
Sounds easy, right? Because it is a super easy sugar cookie icing.
Bake cookies and let them chill completely.
Season the pomegranate juice with black pepper. I like it spicy so I added almost 1 teaspoon to the half glass of juice.
Place the confectionary sugar in a bowl. Add the juice, one teaspoon at the time, stirring vigorously. Stop adding when you get a creamy, yet firm, consistency.
Ice the cookies and eventually decorate them with sprinkles.
Isn’t that color bellissimo?
do you need a foolproof sugar cookies recipe?
the best sugar cookies recipe in town
This is an old family recipe… no, just kidding. I found it about 15 years ago on a cookie cutter packaging, but it turned out to be the best recipe ever. Try them with the pomegranate icing: they were meant to be together :-).
sugar cookies recipe
- 4 oz butter 113 gr - ½ cup
- 7 oz sugar 200 gr - 1 cup
- 1 egg
- 8 oz all purpose flour (but if you find 00 flour...) 227 gr - 1 + ¾ cups
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Place butter and sugar in the mixer (hook spatula) and mix until butter softens. Add all the other ingredients and stir for about 5 minutes.
Work it with your hands. Check that all the ingredients are well mixed and form a ball. Add flour, a little at the time, if needed (butter might have warmed up too much and you might have a dought that is too liquid).
Wrap it in kitchen film and place in the freezer for half an hour. Or in the fridge for an hour.
Roll out the dough and cut out your cookies. Make sure you abundantly flour the working surface, the dough, the cookie cutters and the rolling pin, to avoid sticky disasters :-).
Bake the cookies 10-12 minutes.
cookies baking tips
- Try to bake cookies of similar shapes and dimensions together. they need the same baking time and you won’t get some-burned-some-missing-time results.
- You can freeze the dough and take it out 1/2 hour before working it. If it becomes too liquid, add a tablespoon of flour at the time until you get a workable consistency.
- Freeze cut cookies and bake them when you need them. How to: freeze them, displayed on a sheet, for half an hour, then place them in plastic bags.
If you place cookies on the baking sheet and refrigerate them about 20 minutes, before baking, they’ll keep better their shape.
enjoy your pomegranate icing recipe